Long Island's Best Music Lessons.
Maestro Music Lessons was founded and is run by Douglas Hoppe, a Yale Music Graduate who runs the Long Island Philharmonia and performs his own compositions and arrangements and those of others on woodwinds as well as singing.
We provide an individualized intensive and comprehensive course of instrumental music training. Welcoming students of all ages, levels and backgrounds, with or without previous experience, the program offers preparatory and continuing instruction in English and several other foreign languages.
Doug Hoppe Personally Offers Expert Teaching of:
- Beginner to Advanced Clarinet & Saxophone (all sizes of instruments)
- Beginner to Intermediate Flute (all sizes of instruments)
- Beginner Piano and Keyboard Skills -- children and adults
- Beginner to Advanced Music Theory and Analysis
- Beginner to Advanced Ear -Training / Sight Singing / Solfeggio / Musicianship training (from Early Music through Contemporary Music and Jazz / World)
- Beginner to Intermediate Conducting
- Beginner to Intermediate Composition / Arranging and Orchestration
- Introduction to score reading and playing, transposing -- both at the keyboard and on your instrument of choice
- Basic concepts of string instruments (demonstrated on violin and with digital audio and video examples)
- Rhythmic training (using hands, voice, keyboard and percussion)
- Basic concepts of singing
- Introduction to Jazz and Klezmer Improvisation (for all instruments and voices)
Free trial first lesson (Maestro Hoppe's Greenlawn Studio Only).
$65 per hour at your home or other destination, $15 discount if the lesson is held at Maestro Hoppe's Studio in Greenlawn.
Children 8 and under: $30 half hour lesson, at Maestro Hoppe's Greenlawn studio only.
Lessons are a minimum of 30 minutes. Normal lessons are an hour, and advanced students may be interested in longer lessons -- please contact us to arrange this.
Skype, FaceTime, Google Chat and Facebook Video lessons can be arranged as well, please call for more information.
Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance of the scheduled lesson otherwise lesson is billed in full.
Other topics of instruction offered:
Academic Music --
- Music History
- Music Appreciation
- Musical Acoustics
- Ethnomusicological lessons exploring the different types of world music
- Influences of Classical and Jazz and World music on Rock and Pop music.
The Music Business--
- lectures and studies about the music industry, both traditional systems and new digital developments in the music business sector
- lectures on how to run and grow a non-profit arts organization specializing in music performances
- how to organize concerts: from the very first idea to using reviews and audience feed back to start the next one.
- how to best lead musicians and staff in a musical organization
Instructor Doug Hoppe has Classical, Big Band / Jazz / Broadway professional experience --Through experience and knowledge of music pedagogy, he provides instruction tailored to each student’s learning abilities. He has performed with the biggest orchestras down to small chamber groups and jazz and rock combos, to solo.
He has extensive experience preparing students for NYSSMA and school (and university or ensemble) auditions, and is a good public speaker for lectures and question and answer sessions.
He also has an MBA in Marketing and International Business and extensive music industry and technology experience.
He can help vocal students with fundamentals as well as proper diction / pronunciation and understanding lyrics. Besides serving as Executive Director of the Long Island Philharmonia and Nassau Philharmonia, He also runs a Consulting and Artist Management company, InterMusic Publications LLC and is a great resource for music career development and advice.